Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thing 4

Set up a MySpace account - easy enough to do initially! Searched for my children, only one of whom was there. (She popped right up - so it's easy to find people here if they are using their real names.) I didn't add her to my "friends list," though - I didn't seem like the intended audience for the things she was sharing. (Nothing bad, just aimed at her friends and age group!) I uploaded a picture of Bangle (my dog) and a flower picture taken off the Internet and fooled around with the site a bit. I have to say I know I won't be using this or adding to it and am glad I didn't use my name (only initials) or do much with my profile. Also, I didn't have any personal pictures on my computer at work so had to do that from home but found that there was very little in the way of directions on how to upload a picture if one didn't already have that knowledge. At work, spent a considerable amount of time with 2 coworkers trying to figure out how to add each other to our "friends list" - nowhere is this clearly explained (we were trying to do it from our own pages, not the other person's) and it took an Internet search and Yahoo questions to find the answer. Apparently, many other people have had the same problem. Very frustrating!

I have investigated LibraryThing in the past as a place to keep track of what I've read and store my annotations but, for a number of reasons, have not used it as yet - I hear that many small libraries are using it in lieu of a catalog!

1 comment:

rich said...

i recently bought a cuecat for scan books into my librarything account. is that nerdy or what?!